Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Taking It Personally

By Rick Crosson
Vice President for Subaru of America and Chair of the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics' Board of Directors

Think back to when you first saw something in nature that awed you. For me, no matter how many years go by (and it has been quite a few now), that first vision is still vivid and fresh.

It was during my youth. We were on a weeklong summer trip that this time included hiking and camping through a variety of settings - from a spring-fed, clear water river to grassy meadowlands to rugged hill tops. The 2,600 plus acre site was in the midst of the Texas Hill country on land called the Devil’s Backbone. It was hot and the stillness in the air added to the central Texas heat. As we made our way up an incline, we were focused on our shoes and just making it to the top of a hill. Suddenly, we crested a ridge and the vista popped open. A rugged landscape was visible for miles and miles. Interspersed were patches of green meadows and gorges where I imagined water was gurgling. The air was moving at the ridge top, and the sweat from the effort to get there, now cooled me down. I heard the breeze rustling through the cedar and other trees, and saw the birds floating freely up and down as they road the thermal air waves. It could be described as nothing less than breath taking. I realized how small I was in the whole scheme of the earth.

We were following established trails with clearly defined camp sites and cooking areas. Although I didn’t know it at the time, our leaders were following the seven principles of Leave No Trace. We planned and prepared for the trip. We camped on durable surfaces and minimized the impact of our campfires. We didn’t take souvenirs. We packed our waste in and out. We were careful in observing the wildlife and were mindful of the other groups also trekking.

Since then, I have had the wonderful opportunity to visit many parts of the United States and other countries. I have enjoyed unique places like Yellowstone and Petrified Forest and walked on a frozen over Walden Pond. I camped at Watkins Glen, walked parts of the Appalachian Trail in five different states, and visited the Outer Banks, the Amalfi coast, Caribbean reefs and most recently viewed wildlife in Guanacaste, Costa Rica. I felt a similar awe of nature and experienced the calmness that generates from the greatness in these environments.

I have been involved with Leave No Trace for almost five years as a board member and have the privilege to be Chairperson for this year and next. If someone asked me what is important about Leave No Trace and its mission, it would be those personal sights and lasting visions. Leave No Trace is a way to promote the responsible use and enjoyment of this beautiful land and the vistas to which we have been entrusted. It’s not about protecting or preserving the environment for me. Those words sound too restrictive. It is about allowing my children, and someday hopefully my grandchildren and their children, that same opportunity I had to be awed.

I believe that education and awareness is a key to that responsible use – teach the children, engaged the parents, show them how and the future will be bright. Leave No Trace is at the forefront of that education.

What is your first place of awe and wonder?

-RC

No comments: