Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What Does the Leave No Trace Logo Mean to You?



We’re frequently asked around the Center about the meaning of the Leave No Trace logo. It’s not uncommon to get a least 1 call a week with some reference to the logo. The following are a few of the terms we hear:

• swirly gig
• pinwheel
• hurricane
• whirlpool
• galaxy

With such creative terms for the logo, you can imagine that the explanations of the Leave No Trace emblem get quite original as well. I’ve heard folks incorporate everything from water to space in their meanings of the symbol we’re all so fond of (side note: we know of at least 3 people who have Leave No Trace tattoos!).

I thought it was time to share the Center’s “unofficial” definition of the Leave No Trace logo. Consider the circle in the middle to be a fond outdoor experience or your favorite place to play outside. The surrounding lines represent the ways we interact with that experience or in that space: with enjoyment, wonder, appreciation, and awareness we come into and out of the experience with as little impact as possible.

This is, of course, up for interpretation. Leave us a comment and let us know what the Leave No Trace logo means to you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see clasped hands, suggesting cooperation towards our shared goal of leaving no trace.

Jeremy said...

I just ran into a couple of LNT hotties at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Provo, UT. They hooked me and my kids up with a couple of stickers and the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the logo on the sticker was a more artistic interpretation of a recycle logo. (3 arrows in a triangle)
I like the clasped hands view that paranym mentions... I can totally see that too!