Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Where do you fit on the Leave No Trace spectrum?

Good morning all-

Yesterday an email was passed amongst our staff about an informal poll that someone had created about Leave No Trace. It was pretty interesting.


The basic question was: How closely to you follow Leave No Trace practices and techniques?

The four answer choices were:

1) I strictly follow Leave No Trace practices and even carry out my human waste.
2) I try to practice Leave No Trace to the best of my knowledge (and comfort level).
3) I don't follow Leave No Trace practices. What I do in the backcountry is my business.
4) I am unfamiliar with Leave No Trace practices.

What do you think was the most popular answer? (drumroll ...)

It was the second answer choice...which is exactly what we advocate for here at the Center.

Because it begin more as a slogan before it became an educational program, Leave No Trace often gets confused with a strict set of rules or guidelines.


The truth is, anything you do to maintain the quality of the resource (and the experience of others in the outdoors) is practicing Leave No Trace. The comfort and experience levels of everyone enjoying the outdoors varies greatly. In other words, the individual packing out his/her human waste camping next to the individual attempting to dig a cat-hole for the first time are both demonstrating an outdoor ethic.

Where do you all fit along the spectrum? Thanks for your thoughts!


No comments: