Monday, May 17, 2010

Pay to Play - Okay or no way?


A Forest Service proposal might institute new fees to camp and/or climb several of Colorado's 14ers in the Sangre de Cristo mountains. The South Colony Basin sees ~4,500 visitors a year, with many climbing one of four nearby mountains over 14,000 ft.

Paying to play is not a new concept, and has many vocal supporters and critics. I don't envy the government trying to find balance between all the disparate opinions out there. I personally put a very high value on the recreational opportunities that are abundant in Colorado, and if I wanted to go, I would be willing to pay to visit these specific areas.

What is your take? Let us know, and share your thoughts with the Forest Service as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the feds would allocate the funds necessary to properly manage our public lands, this wouldn't be an issue.

Unknown said...

I value the lands available for my play. If I need to pay to help protect those areas, I will do so.