Monday, February 7, 2011

Letters from a 5th Grade Class

Friday was spent with astute students from Red Rocks elementary school in Morrison, CO. We worked with kindergarten students that listened rather excitedly to "Trek and Tracks Great Adventure" as Trek and Track climbed their way up Misty Mountain, all the while learning about the 7 principles of Leave No Trace. We then visited the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade classes. The 5th graders promptly wrote letters to us recounting what they learned and before the day was through, they were hand delivered. Here are a few of the impressions we left on these young children:

"I am also going to change. I will pick up trash when I see it on the ground. I won't throw my banana peels on the ground anymore because I don't want the animals to get sick."

"I will always remember the 4 R's-Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, REFUSE. Thank-you for teaching me all that!"

"I also will not leave trash the next time I go camping, hiking, and bike because it may take many years or forever to decompose."

Lastly, our favorite quote came from the one student that exclaimed:

"Thank you for coming to teach our class. I had more fun than a monkey on his birthday!!"

Kids say the darndest things.

Explore Responsibly...Kate and Tracy

No comments: