In 2011, the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics introduces a new social activism and environmental stewardship program called the Backyard Sessions. Backyard Sessions bring together and activate local communities to find ways to incorporate Leave No Trace into all of the ways we live and play.
Backyard Sessions are social events where all types of Leave No Trace supporters, members, volunteers and partners will gather, meet new friends, learn about current Leave No Trace programs, make plans, share food, drink and camaraderie. Sessions may include the following elements:
· Outdoor service project like a clean up or trail work
· Kids training utilizing our PEAK program activities
· Family outdoor activity, from a hike to picnic in local or state park
· Leave No Trace Awareness Workshop
· Guest speakers (partners, science/research resident experts and others who will talk about their involvement with Leave No Trace)
· Bigfoot appearance and Bigfoot Challenge
Check out this video about the Houston, TX Backyard Session that took place on February 26th, 2011. A complete listing of the Center's 2011 slate of Backyard Sessions will be published soon so stay tuned. If you are interested in learning more about Backyard Session, contact Outreach Manager Dave Winter.