Plan Ahead and Prepare is a criticial planning component of the 7 principles of Leave No Trace. When proper time and care is dedicated to trip planning, you will find it easy to follow through with the remaining six Leave No Trace principles. A wise education director once taught us: If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.
Consider these points when planning for a trip:
- Know the regulations and special concerns for the area you'll visit.
- Prepare for extreme weather, hazards, and emergencies.
- Schedule your trip to avoid times of high use.
- Visit in small groups when possible. Consider splitting larger groups into smaller groups.
- Repackage food to minimize waste.
- Use a map and compass to eliminate the use of marking paint, rock cairns or flagging.
For more information about the principle Plan Ahead and Prepare, CLICK HERE.
Explore Responsibly...Kate and Tracy