Thursday, April 24, 2008

Leave No Trace at Dirt Days for Earth Day

This past Saturday I had a nostalgic experience in the world of Leave No Trace – my “First Anniversary Event.” Exactly one year ago, I participated in a local Earth Day event, Dirt Days, after having only been working at Leave No Trace for 3 days.

Having come full circle after a year of work at Leave No Trace, including participation in other events, and even attending and completing a Master Educator course, I can say that this year’s Dirt Days event was a fantastic occasion to use as a one-year marker.

After a delicious breakfast at the Farmer’s Market, my colleague, Catherine Smith, and I spent a beautiful, blue-sky day on the lawn of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), which plays host to this event each year. Organized in conjunction with the Boulder Adventure Film Festival, Dirt Days seems to get bigger, more successful, and more fun for the entire community each year.

There is something to be said for seeing the pure enjoyment on kids’ faces as they explore the outdoors. Hundreds of examples crossed our paths on Saturday, some with faces brightly painted, others plunging seeds in biodegradable planters, and some careening along a designated trail fitted with a pack holding 10 percent of their body weight. Not to mention, several kids with chocolate from cookies baked in a solar oven smeared all over their face (usually matching the chocolate on their parents’ faces, as well).

Even better is seeing the lasting result of this exposure and new appreciation for the outdoors. Shortly after the event ended, I found myself running on a trail near my neighborhood. Up ahead of me were two girls and a boy, who were trading a single pack amongst them and practicing running down the middle of the trail, negotiating the rocks, and communicating their quick approach to others (over and over again). Off the back of their small pack was a Leave No Trace Kids Reference Card – a bright yellow reminder for kids on how to play outside, responsibly. I couldn’t help but smile and give them all high fives as we passed each other.



-Sara Close

No comments: