Monday, February 23, 2009

Fast Packing the John Muir Trail - Part 2

The internet certainly makes planning trips a whole lot easier. A quick google search yields the phone number for the reservation office, and details such as; permits can be made up to 24 weeks in advance. If the math gets complicated, there are even tables that show you exactly what day you can call for a given start date.

I also learned that Bear canisters are required on most (not all) of the John Muir Trail. However given the complications of dropping off and picking up canisters, along with carrying another suitable hanging method where allowed, it seems easier to just continue on with the canisters. Personally, on the trips where we have carried canisters, I love them for the convenience. Snacks are always at hand, and how many times have you hung your food, only to discover an energy bar in your kids jacket? These conveniences far outweigh the additional weight in my mind.

I also need to understand the Human Waste requirements for the Southern end of the Trail by Mt. Whitney. I have read conflicting reports of different requirements for those entering or exiting at Whitney Portal. I will post an update when I hear a final answer from the local Land Managers.

With the details coming together, I have started to think about a packing list. We will be shooting for fairly light packs. I have spent several entertaining hours reading others stories of light packing, with some getting their packs under 10 lbs for gear alone. I think if I start with my pack in the 25 lb range I would be quite happy. I will do this by eliminating a fair amount of gear, and some carefully thought out purchases.

One idea I will be sure to try out prior to the trip is combining an ultralight down bag with a lightweight down jacket. Can I sleep comfortably enough given the overnight lows we can expect that time of year. Luckily I will have plenty of opportunities to test it out prior to this trip.

Stay tuned.....

2 comments:

Baldwin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Baldwin said...

Have you considering a Pez only diet for your trip?