Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Trainer Course in Little Big Econ State Forest

"Tell me, and I will forget. Show me, and I will remember. Let me do, and I will understand."

-Confucius


This past weekend we were in Seminole County, Florida for a two day Trainer Course with Boy Scouts from around the Sunshine State. The 16 hour course focused on instructing the fundamentals required to teach others the skills and ethics of Leave No Trace. Throughout the course we revisited the words of Confucius as the Scouts enjoyed experiential learning opportunities and personally connected with the idea "Let me do, and I will understand." The participants were introduced to various methods to minimize our impacts on the outdoors, and each led a lesson covering a different principle or topic for the whole group.


The course was unique in that the participants were representative of both adult and teen members of their Boy Scout troops from around Florida. Each participant developed an action plan to teach Leave No Trace to other members of their troops or councils.

In the first photo, Agata leads a lesson on disposing of waste properly by demonstrating how to dig a cathole. The second photo shows the crew preparing for departure into the Geneva Wilderness Area with a sense of humor and excitement for the trip ahead.

All the best,

Jason and Agata

1 comment:

Zach Fedewa said...

Thanks Jason and Agata, I had a really fun time!
-Zach